Anxiety Background: Depression Background:
- Worrying – Sadness
- Stress – Loss of interest
- Unease – Lack of communication
- Nervousness – Treatable
- About events with uncertain outcome – Caused by changes of brain chemistry
- The word “vapors” was used in 1665 as the name for nervous disorder.
- Depression was first called “melancholia.”
- In second millennium B.C. people believed mental illness was when demons took over your body
People Who Help:
The website, Beyond Blue, is helpful because they show a list of all types of people and what their needs are. There is a number to call for help, which is 1300 22 4636. Take the check list to see what your feelings are like, and it can help you determine if you are in need of assistance. https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/supporting-someone/supporting-someone-with-depression-or-anxiety
- A personal story I have had with this was during freshman year. I had a friend with depression, and she was in need of assistance. I knew a lot about depression and anxiety from her because I looked up her symptoms. There are certain things a person will do or say to know if they will take the next step to suicide. Key things to look for are: if they have a set plan to kill themselves (time, date, etc), If you see markings to indicate self harm (such as cutting), and if they are always lonely.
- Make sure somebody knows about this persons problems if it can become dangerous
- I have an experience with anxiety as well. When I was younger my anxiety would be really bad, and it made me feel if I didn’t do certain things a certain way then, something bad could happen to me. I went to therapy, and this helped a lot.
- Almost one-half of people with anxiety are diagnosed with depression or other way around.
- Women are twice as more likely to get anxiety than men.
- Men are more likely to get depression than women.
- About forty-four million American adults are suffering from anxiety disorders.
- Panic attacks often occur for people with anxiety from the stress.
- Two out of three people do not try to cure their anxiety.
- Anxiety is due to the chemical imbalances in the brain.
TAKE THE QUIZ!